How to Choose the Best Heart Rate Monitor?
A heart rate monitor is designed to provide readings of your current or total average heart rate. It is a must-have gadget for the health conscious and anyone who wants to monitor their heart rate. It will also have high and low functions which are beneficial to record your heart rates during training. Some models allow you to input your data so that you can easily measure the total number of calories burnt during a session. Some can integrate GPS technology and provide you details like speed and distance covered on foot or bicycle.
Top 7 Best Selling Heart Rate Monitors in India 2018
Wise No 1
- Pure pulse continuous, automatic wrist-based heart rate tracking to better measure calorie burn all day
- Maximize your workouts using simplified heart rate zones (Fat burn, cardio and peak)
- See call, text and calendar notifications on the OLED display
- Get a better understanding of your fitness level and see how you can improve over time with a personalized cardio fitness score
- Track all day activity like steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes
- Automatically track how long and how well you sleep and wake with a silent vibrating alarm
Wise No 2
- Multisport Mode: Track all your activities including runs, bikes, swims, treadmill runs, gym workouts, indoor cycling and more
- Waterproof up to 40m
- GPS Running Watch: Measures time, distance, speed, pace, calories burned and live stats on the go
- Route Exploration: Find your way back to the start and explore new routes
- 24x7 Activity Tracker: Capture your steps, active minutes, distance, calories burned and sleep
Wise No 3
- Built-in GPS and GLONASS
- Water resistant 50 meters
- Ion-X glass
- 2x brighter OLED Retina display with force touch (1000 nits)
- Ceramic back
- Digital crown
Wise No 4
- GPS Tracking. See distance, pace and elevation climbed & review routes and split times
- Get continuous, automatic, wrist-based heart rate and simplified heart rate zones
- Track workouts & view workout summaries; plus all day activities including steps, distance, calories burned, floors climbed and active minutes
- Monitor your sleep automatically and wake with a silent alarm
- See call and text notifications on the touchscreen display
Wise No 5
- Multi-Sports Modes: Hike or bike, swim or gym, ski or run - track all your sports indoor and out, with special modes for trail-running, hiking, skiing and snowboarding, you can elevate your adventures
- Outdoor Adventure Watch: Discover new routes with confidence, reach new heights with built-in compass, barometer, long battery life and waterproof performance to 40m
- 3GB Music Storage: Plays MP3 and AAC formats - does not play any copyrighted music
- Headphone Support: HiFi audio via A2PP and AVRC profiles
- Trail Exploration: Discover new routes with the confidence and find your way home
- Get accurate real-time info on the go, like altitude, 3D distance, speed, pace, total ascent and descent and calories burned with GPS, compass and barometer tracking
Wise No 6
- GOQii is India's largest selling Fitness tracker with highest market share in wearable industry (*Source: IDC)
- Tracks your Heart rate, daily steps, calories burned, distance covered, active hours & sleep pattern
- Get Whatsapp, SMS, Email and Call notifications on a large OLED display through Bluetooth (version 4.0 BLE and above on phone)
- Separate charger is not required. USB integrated charger present on device. Connect the core to USB port of laptop, power bank or any mobile charger for charging
- This purchase of GOQii family care plan can be claimed as tax benefit under section 80D.
Wise No 7
- Wrist-based heart rate - tracks heart rate to provide more accurate calories burned information
- Floors Climbed: Climbing stairs is tough get credit for the extra work, thanks to an integrated barometric altimeter
- Intensity Minutes: Monitor your progress against aerobic activity goals recommended by health organizations
- Activity Tracking: Displays steps, calories, distance, heart rate, floors climbed, intensity minutes and time of day
Types of heart rate monitor
Chest strap and optical wrist sensor-based monitors are the two most commonly used types of heart rate monitors.
- Chest Strap Design: As the name suggests, this type of heart rate monitor is strapped to your chest. It is valued for its high level of accuracy because it is positioned close to the heart. Its functions can include alerting you when the heart rate crosses a specific limit or providing account of heart rate at intervals.
- Optical Wrist Sensor-based Wearable Monitor: These types of heart rate monitors gather heart-rate data by measuring blood flow using light. This process is known as photoplethysmography.
What to look before buying?
You should consider the following points when choosing the best heart rate monitor for your needs:
- Comfortable Fit: Make sure to choose a monitor that is designed for user-friendliness and comfort. Whether it has chest straps or wrist bands, it should be comfortable to wear. The monitor is to be worn on bare skin for hours, so you cannot ignore this factor.
- Display: Choose a heart rate monitor with high quality display unit that clearly shows all the required information.
- Functions: Different models offer different features and functions. The base models are designed for display little more than the heart rate, but more advanced ones can have a wide range of features making them beneficial for various functions such as average heart rate, distance travelled, current or average speed, and calorie counting. Advanced features can include stopwatch, split timer, GPS, alarm, and altitude.
- Apps: Also consider the ease of use of the app that powers the heart rate monitor. It is the app that allows you to access all the features of the monitor.
Best Heart Rate Monitor Brands
When choosing heart rate monitors, you should evaluate models from the best brands:
- Polar: The FT60 from Polar goes beyond basic functions and offers features for gym and cardio workouts. It also has an accurate calorie counter.
- Garmin: This brand offers a series of heart rate monitors. Forerunner 610 is comfortable to wear on the wrist and offers GPS, distance tracking, and real-time speed tracking.
- MIO MIO: This brand of heart rate monitors are designed for women. You can choose custom data measurement. It can display highly accurate heart rates, equivalent to ECG heart rates.
- Wahoo Fitness: Tickr X from Wahoo has sophisticated run and exercise tracking features. It also supports ANT+ and Bluetooth. You can also use it to count repetitions during exercise.
- Samsung: Gear IconX from this brand provides an easy-to-use heart rate monitor. It is the perfect fitness tracking gadget with internal storage.
When choosing the best heart rate monitor, you should also consider price and warranty as important factors. Look for a unit that offers all the required features and functions within your budget. And if it were to develop any issues, make sure there is a warranty cover to protect your investment.