How to Choose the Perfect Sewing Machine?
When you have a sewing machine at home, you can do a lot with your clothes. You are able to customize your clothes, repair them, and save some money. You can also ensure that you are following the latest trends. There are many benefits of having a sewing machine. Find out how to choose the right machine by evaluating all the key factors.
Top 9 Best Selling Sewing Machines in India 2018
Wise No 1
- Automatic zig-zag sewing machine with compact free arm
- One dial for pattern selection
- 7 built-in stitches including 4-step button holing; 14 applications including lace fixing, quilting, smocking, zip fixing and rolled hemming
- Auto tripping bobbin system; drop feed for embroidery; automatic needle threading; sewing light
- Sewing speed: 860 SPM; Stitch length control; Triple strength stitch
- Warranty: 2 years manufacturer's warranty
- Automatic ziz-zag sewing machine with free arm for ease of circular stitching
- Two dials for pattern and stitch length selection
- 13 built-in stitches including button hole stitch; 21 applications including stretch stitching, button fixing, rolled hemming, satin stitch, zip fixing and smocking.
- Auto tripping bobbin system; 4-step button hole sewing; sewing light
- Warranty: 2 years manufacturer warranty
- Computerized Sewing Machine
- 100 Stitch Number and 55 alphanumeric stitches
- Number of Buttonholes 8
- Built-in Needle Threader
- Brother does not provide home demo or service
- Changing presser feet in seconds
- In-built thread cutter in presser bar
- Accessory storage in extension table
- Oscillating Shuttle Mechanism (Half Shuttle)
- Warranty: 2 years on product
- Automatic zig-zag sewing machine with free arm for circular stitch
- In-built motor; built-in needle threader and light with switch
- Drop feed for embroidery; triple strength stitch
- 13 built-in stitches including button holing; 21 stitch functions (applications) including stretch stitching, button fixing, rolled hemming, smocking, blind stitch hemming and zip fixing
- Auto tripping bobbin system; Sewing speed: 860 SPM; dial type stitch selector
- Warranty: 2 years manufacturer's warranty
- Quick and easy threading saves time
- Easy stitch selection change stitches in one easy step
- One automatic four step buttonhole no guesswork and just results
- 10 built-in stitches with one automatic 4 step buttonhole provides endless project possibilities
- Adjustable stitch length and zigzag width - keep seams strong and prevent puckering on any fabric type
- Automatic Zig-Zag Machine
- 6 built-in stiches
- Single touch reverse stitch
- Four step button holing
- With Picot application
- Automatic full zig zag machine with built in needle threader, thread cutter on face plate and color coded functional display
- Full Aluminum Body
- One step button hole
- Built-in motor
- Free arm for circular stitching
- 21 Built-In Stitch Patterns
- Automatic Needle Threader
- Automatic 4-step Buttonhole
- Adjustable Stitch Length & Width
- Top Drop-in Bobbin
Types of Sewing Machines
There are different types of sewing machines, so you should know about the different options before choosing the right one.
- Electronic Sewing Machine: This type of sewing machine comes with a single motor that powers the needle. It features electronic food pedal and allows easy speed control. During operation you are able to control the fabric with both hands. You can control the stitch, length, tension setting, and some models have automatic thread cutters and button hole stitches.
- Computerized Sewing Machine: These machines feature buttons, dials, and LED/LCD display. They offer wide range of functions and can also have sewing project memory. You can find the right machine to sew meticulous embroidery stitches too.
- Overlocker Machines: These types of sewing machines can sew over the edge of cloth pieces for seaming, hemming and edging for finishing touches. You can easily create thick seams. Also known as sergers, they can achieve high speeds of up to 9,000 rpm.
- Embroidery Machines: Some sewing machines are especially designed for embroidery work. You can use them to create monogram on any piece or to create quilt squares.
- All-in-One Sewing Machines: These types of sewing machines offer the options of embroidery, straight stitching, and serger. Some models can deliver professional quality on your projects.
What to Look For in a Sewing Machine while buying:
You should also consider the following factors when choosing the right sewing machine:
- Material: Sewing machines made of metal are considered more durable. However, if you need a lightweight machine, you can opt for machines made of plastic.
- Applications: Consider the types of applications the sewing machine is required to complete. There are simple machines for simple tasks and complicated machines with advanced features and functions for complex tasks.
- Weight: If you need to carry your machine along, look for a portable unit that is compact and lightweight. Modern sewing machines are lighter and feature all the required attachments.
- Speed: Beginners may not need a machine with high speed. As your skills evolve, speed will become a big factor. If you will be doing moderate to heavy sewing, you should check the speed of the machine.
You should also consider the brand when choosing the best sewing machine.
- Janome: This brand offers versatile sewing machines, especially computerized units with automatic features. The automatic declutch bobbin winder makes threading easy.
- Brother: This brand offers some of the most feature-rich sewing machines. Some of its models come with over 70 computerized stitches. You can create decorative edging with ease and with professional-level results.
- SINGER: This brand also stands out for the wide range of features available in its machines. The automatic bobbin winding system will provide additional safety and prevent the bobbin from getting overfilled.
- Juki: If you are an advanced user, who needs a sewing machine that is fast and offers seamless operation, Juki is a good brand. The models have multiple stitches and can use several threads. Some designs have multi-purpose presser foot for handling elastic and tape.
- Spiegel: This brand offers both simple machines for beginner and feature-loaded units for advanced users. Some units are so technology-intensive that they can be integrated with a mobile device.
Besides these factors, you should also consider the warranty and price as important factors for choosing a sewing machine. A longer and more comprehensive warranty can provide you more peace of mind.